The St. Petersburg, Fla., property’s project will start in May, and seeks to make the facility “relevant to the next generation of travelers, especially millennials.” The first phase will focus on the Snell Isle facilities, including a new clubhouse grill, resort-style swimming area with splash pad, new locker rooms, and improved golf course aesthetics.
The Vinoy Renaissance Resort & Golf Club in St. Petersburg, Fla., is beginning a two-year, multi-phase renovation and redevelopment project, starting in May, the Tampa Bay (Fla.) Business Journal reported.
The renovations are “going to really transform the Vinoy,” said General Manager Barbara Readey. The resort is owned by FelCor Lodging Trust, a hotel-focused real estate investment trust, the Business Journal reported.
“Ever since FelCor bought the Vinoy in 2007, it was their intent to develop the hotel,” Readey said. “The vision has been there ever since they acquired us.”
While the Vinoy is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, management wants the property “to be relevant to the next generation of travelers, especially millennials,” Readey said.
Residents of St. Petersburg approved a referendum in 1992 that led to the restoration of The Vinoy, and further renovations will emphasize improvements in the golf, tennis and spa amenities, Readey said. “The upgrades to our resort will elevate its comfort and sophistication for our Vinoy Club Members and resort guests alike.”
Customers will not be inconvenienced during the construction work, Readey said. The first phase of the renovation will focus on the resort’s Snell Isle facilities, including:
- An all-new Clubhouse Grill with a variety of seating options to include covered outdoor dining
- A redesigned and expanded resort-style area at the Sunset swimming pool with cabana lounges and new amenities
- A separate new splash pad and Kids’ Fun Zone
- New food and beverage service located poolside and also accessible by golfers for grab-and-go snacks while on the course
- New ladies’ and men’s locker rooms
- A multi-year plan to improve bunkers, drainage, headwalls, irrigation and general aesthetics on the golf course and practice facility
Throughout this first phase, the Vinoy Golf Course will remain available for Vinoy Club Members and hotel guests. Temporary food and beverage facilities will be offered courtesy of a 1,600-sq. ft. tented structure, the Business Journal reported.
Phase one will be completed by the end of the year, with the locker rooms being finished first, Readey said.
Further phases are on the drawing board with the intent to improve many other areas of the club including:
- All new Har-Tru tennis courts
- A new, centrally located Tennis Pro Shop including the addition of an outdoor lounge area
- A significantly expanded fitness center, including state-of-the-art studios and locker rooms
- A spacious and enhanced spa facility featuring updated treatment rooms, lounge areas, wet and dry spas, and dedicated locker rooms
- The replacement of current restaurant, Alfrescos, with improved marina and park vistas
- Additional covered parking
Additional phases are still in the planning stage, Readey said. “We don’t have a start date yet.” But, she added, “both phases will be done in two and a half years. It’s very exciting. It’s been a long time coming.”