A blaze that began during a wedding-related event at the nearly 100-year-old property in the Adirondack Mountains included an explosion that injured four people and eventually burned a building to the ground that housed the club’s Emeralds restaurant, its pro shop and member locker rooms. By the end of Memorial Day weekend, the club had already taken steps to still accommodate play on its Seymour Dunn-designed course while mapping out a plan for a full recovery.
Community members described the fire that erupted at Ticonderoga (N.Y.) Golf Course on Saturday night, May 26 as “devastating,” MyChamplainValley.com, the website of television station WVYN/WNFF ABC 22 reported. But before Memorial Day weekend had even ended, the station’s report added, the club’s Board members had already started brainstorming and mapping out a recovery game plan for the nearly 100-year-old property in the scenic Adirondack Mountains region.
The building that burned to the ground, in a fire that sent four kitchen workers to the hospital, housed Emeralds restaurant, the country club’s golf pro shop and member locker rooms, MyChamplainValley.com reported. Two of the hospitalized workers had been released by the time of the station’s report.
The blaze began during a wedding-related event at the clubhouse’s restaurant and the fire department was called at 10:07 p.m. on May 26, Ticonderoga Fire Chief Matthew Watts told the Plattsburgh (N.Y.) Press-Republican. “While responding, we were advised that there was an explosion with at least four people injured with possible entrapment,” Watts said. “Upon my arrival, I was met by approximately 50 people outside and people still coming out from the building and fire on the first and second floor. Everyone was accounted for.”
The fire at the public golf course was not extinguished until 4 a.m., the Press-Republican reported.
The club has now posted a report with the heading “A New Challenge for Our Ticonderoga Golf Community” on its website that reads in part: “As many of you know, the Ticonderoga Golf clubhouse had a major fire. The clubhouse and pro shop were a total loss. We are grateful for all your prayers and good thoughts, and ask that you continue to keep those [who] sustained burns in your prayers.
“We are still open for business,” the website posting continues. “For the next few days, check-in for greens fees and carts will be at Five Nations Golf [a nearby golf center]. You may register and get a cart key, then go to park at the club and start your play.”
“It’s devastating to me,” Carolyn Malaney, the oldest member of Ticonderoga CC, told MyChamplainValley.com. “I was in shock when my son came in and told me [about the fire]. It just makes me sick, because I’ve spent a lot of hours out there.”
All 50 golf carts and multiple sets of golf clubs were able to be saved after the fire, but the memories inside that held sentimental value were not, MyChamplainValley.com reported.
“It’s kind of a landmark in the town,” George Mackey, the club’s PGA professional, told the station. “The club’s been here almost 100 years here pretty soon, and it’s a big part of people’s lives here,”
The club’s website says that its Seymour Dunn-designed golf course was established in 1925, with 9 holes in 1926 and another 18 in 1932. Its back nine holes are currently undergoing renovation, according to the website, but all 18 holes remain open and playable.
In the meantime, MyChamplainValley.com reported, Ticonderoga CC Board members have already started brainstorming and mapping out their recovery game plan. “We’re getting a trailer for George to set up his pro shop [and to] get the electric going,” said club President Judy Schultz. “Our maintenance staff which is fantastic, went and cleaned the cart path, so starting tomorrow [May 27] officially we’ll be open.”
The club’s Board members met on Memorial Day Monday with insurance adjusters to try to figure out what the next steps to recovery would be, MyChamplainValley.com reported.
Schultz also expressed gratitude to those in surrounding communities and the responders who helped to battle the blaze and immediately began to provide support for the club’s recovery. “Thank you to all of the many, many towns’ firemen and EMTs [who responded]; how fantastic all of you were,” Schultz said. “It does the heart well and [shows] how blessed we really are.
WVYN/WNFF ABC 22’s video coverage of the incident can be viewed at http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/news/local-news/tthe-road-to-recovery-begins-after-ticonderoga-country-club-fire/1205136889