The program supported by Bayer Environmental Science provides full funding to attend this year’s event in San Diego. For the second year in a row, five of the winners are from hurricane-affected areas.
Since 2004, the Bayer Superintendent Grant Program has offered members of the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA) the opportunity to attend the annual Golf Industry Show (GIS).
For the 2019 GIS in San Diego (https://clubandresortbusiness.com/golf-industry-show-heads-to-california/), and for the second year in a row, Bayer has doubled its support to send five additional superintendents from areas affected by natural disasters. This year’s additional five grant winners are all from areas affected by Hurricanes Florence and Michael.
The winners’ trips are funded by the Bayer Superintendent Grant Program, offered through Bayer Environmental Science (a business unit of Bayer CropScience Inc.). The grants are awarded by the EIFG, the philanthropic organization of GCSAA.
The grant program will underwrite the total cost for the superintendents to attend the Golf Industry Show, February 2-7 in San Diego. The superintendents will receive airfare, hotel accommodations for five nights, full conference registration, registration for two education seminars, and $200 spending money.
The winning superintendents are selected from a drawing of all applicants who have not attended the show in the past two years. The recent-attendance rule was waived for hurricane victims.
“The devastation left in the wake of these hurricanes is heartbreaking, so we are extending our offer of additional grants, as a way the Bayer Superintendent Grant Program can give back to those who have been impacted,” said Mike Hirvela, Bayer’s Customer Marketing Manager, Golf.
Winners of the Bayer Superintendent Grants to attend the 2019 GIS include:
- Suzy Batie, Superintendent, Ponderosa Butte Golf Course, Colstrip, Mont.
- Joshua Gaebe, Superintendent, Kokopelli Golf Club, Marian, Ill.
- Derrick Hudson, Superintendent, Bellewood Club, Pottstown, Pa.
- Robert Kline, Superintendent, Olive Glenn Golf and Country Club, Cody, Wyo.
- Allan Lumagui, Superintendent, Hampton Roads Golf, Virginia Beach, Va.
Winners of the Bayer Superintendent Grants for 2019 from hurricane-affected areas include:
- Steven Martin, CGCS, Superintendent, Rivers Edge/Brick Landing Plantations, Shallotte, N.C.
- Steven Neuliep, CGCS, Superintendent, Etowah Valley Golf and Resort, Etowah, N.C.
- Roy Rowland, Superintendent, Lake Wales Country Club, Lake Wales, Fla.
- Preston Stephenson, Superintendent, Misty Creek Golf and Country Club, Sarasota, Fla.
- Bryan Taylor, Superintendent, Crescent Pointe Golf Club/Eagles Point Golf Club, Bluffton, S.C.