Yield: 1 lb. bacon
Amt – Ingredient
1 lb. – applewood smoked bacon
1/4 cup – bourbon
1/4 cup – Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. – maple sugar
1/2 cup – brown sugar
1/8-1/4 tsp. – cracked Tellicherry black peppercorns
• Lay out bacon in a 2-inch hotel pan. Sprinkle bourbon over evenly and allow to marinate for at least 6 hours. The bacon should absorb all of the bourbon.
• Preheat the oven to 375º F.
• Line a sheet tray with parchment paper. Place a greased wire rack on top of the parchment-lined pan.
• Lay the bacon on top of the greased wire rack. Then, using a pastry brush, glaze the tops of the bacon with the mustard. Sprinkle the bacon with the black pepper, then the maple and brown sugars, gently pressing the sugar into the bacon.
• Cook the bacon in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until it is caramelized and cooked to desired doneness.
• Transfer cooked bacon to a sheet tray lined with a silicone Silpat to cool (don’t use a paper towel, because the bacon will stick to it).
Submitted by Shawn Culp, Executive Chef; St. Clair Country Club, Upper St. Clair, Pa.