3 cups crab or lobster stock
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper
1 cup stone-ground grits
5 tablespoons butter, divided
1/4 cup small diced yellow onion
1/4 cup ground Andouille sausage
1/4 cup crawfish meat (optional)
2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 slices Andouille sausage
4 tablespoons white wine
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 large clove garlic, minced
- Saute the onion, ground sausage and crawfish in 3 tablespoons of butter in a large stock pot. Add grits and stir until they start to stick. Add stock and cream and bring to a slow simmer.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and cook until all the liquid is absorbed, about 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and stir in cheese.
- Rinse shrimp and pat dry. Melt the butter in a large skillet and add the garlic, sliced sausage and shrimp. Cook until the shrimp turn pink, then add the wine and reduce to half.
- Spoon grits into a serving bowl and top with shrimp, sausage and liquid. Garnish with parsley and green onion.