Chef’s Note: We use Nebraska-raised steelhead trout from The Blue Valley Aquaculture farm.
For the Trout:
2 ea. 4-to-5-oz. trout fillets, skin on, all bones removed
1 tbsp. oil
1 tbsp. butter
• Heat oil in a cast-iron pan over high heat until it is about to or just begins to smoke.
• Season trout fillets with salt and pepper and sear skin-side in the pan until crispy (60 to 90 seconds).
• Add butter and reduce the heat to medium-low.
• Continue to cook the fillets in the foaming butter, skin-side down until the flesh is cooked through (another 60 to 90 seconds).
For the Eggplant Puree:
2 ea. medium-size eggplants
1 tbsp. honey
4 ozs. butter
½ oz. good sherry vinegar
1 tsp. blended oil
salt and pepper
• Place eggplants in bowl and toss with oil, salt and pepper.
• Grill the eggplants until they are completely cooked through and very soft. Set aside until they are cool enough to handle.
• Peel the eggplants and transfer the flesh into a vitamix blender and add vinegar, honey and butter.
• Blend until smooth and adjust the seasoning.
For the Peperonata:
2 ea. medium-size red bell peppers, grilled, peeled and julienned
1 tbsp. salt-packed capers,
rinsed two to three times
1 tsp. minced shallot
1 ea. white anchovy fillet,
Ortiz or Medusa brand, minced
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
3 tsp. good olive oil
zest of half a lemon
to taste lemon juice
to taste salt and pepper
• Combine all in a mixing bowl. Adjust seasoning with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
• Use dill fronds to garnish.