Recipe courtesy of Eric Floyd, Executive Chef, Washington Athletic Club, Seattle, Wash.
1 Blub Elephant Garlic Elephant Garlic
2 Tbsps. Olive Oil
To Taste Salt and Pepper
1 ea -sliced thin and toasted Baugette
Scallions For Garnish
For Chili Sauce Butter:
2 heads Garlic
20 each Thai Bird Chili
2 each Shallots
1/4 cup White Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Sugar
3 Tbsp. Sesame Oil
2 tsp. Fish Sauce
For the Elephant Garlic:
- Chop the top off of the Elephant Garlic
- Drizzle the exposed cloves with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Loosely enclose in foil and place in the preheated oven. Depending on the size of the bulb it will take between 40 minutes and 1 hour to roast.
- Turn down the oven to 350°F and leave for an extra 30 mins to get a more caramelized flavor.
- Drizzle chili sauce on elephant garlic. Garnish with scallions and serve with toasts
For the Chili Sauce:
- Peel the cloves of garlic and roast it lightly on a griddle with help of few drops of oil.
- Chop the Thai Bird Chili
- In a blender, blend the garlic, red peppers, salt, sugar, and vinegar to a fine paste
- Mince the shallots, saute gently
- Add shallots to paste as well as the fish sauce
- Blend Well