2 tsp. olive oil
1 each small yellow onion, thinly sliced into rings
1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
2 each ripe, fresh Hass Avocados, seeded, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
16 each small dinner rolls, sliced in half
Pulled Pork (view recipe below)
16 each thin slices low-fat
Gouda cheese, cut to fit rolls
- In a small skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add onion and stir, cooking for 6 minutes. Mix in vinegar and salt. Cook and stir an additional 3 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Cut each avocado slice in half and toss with lemon juice.
- To prepare sliders, top the bottom half of a roll with 1 heaping tablespoon of Pulled Pork, a slice of cheese, several cooked onions and four half slices of avocado. Add the roll top. Repeat process with all sliders.
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1lb. Weightboneless pork shoulder roast, well trimmed of visible fat
1Tbsp. olive oil
1 each small onion, chopped
1 each clove garlic, finely chopped
1 1/3 cups apple juice
1/3 cup barbecue sauce
1Tbsp. finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Up to 5 days before serving, combine paprika, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Lightly sprinkle some of the seasoning on the pork roast. Keep pork roast covered and refrigerated until cook time.
- Heat oil in a 2-quart pot with lid over medium-high heat. Place pork roast in pot. Cook pork roast for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Turn and cook an additional 3-4 minutes or until browned; remove from pot.
- Add onion and garlic to pot, stir and cook until golden brown. Stir in apple juice and remaining seasonings.
- Return pork roast to pot. Bring liquid to a boil; then reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cover tightly with lid and cook for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is very tender. Remove pork roast from pot and let rest for 5 – 10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Pour pot juices into a bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- Shred pork roast, removing small amounts of fat as needed; cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- On the day the sliders are to be served, remove pot juices from refrigerator and skim off fat. Pour into small pot; bring to a boil. Stir in barbecue sauce and chipotle peppers. Mix in shredded pork meat and heat through. Keep warm until sliders are assembled.
Note: The Pulled Pork for this recipe also can be prepared utilizing a slow cooker. Prepare Pulled Pork recipe as directed through Step 3. Then, transfer pork to a 4- to 6-quart electric slow cooker. Bring onion, garlic and juice mixture to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer and transfer mixture to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low setting for 2 1/2 – 3 hours or until meat is very tender and falling apart. Continue recipe as directed.
Recipe and photo courtesy of the Hass Avocado Board.