to taste salt and pepper
8 ea. 16-oz. veal shanks (“ossos”)
¼ cup pomace oil
2 cups celery, medium dice
2 cups yellow onion, medium dice
1 cup carrot, medium dice
1 cup tomato paste
1 qt. chianti
1 qt. beef stock
1 qt. chicken stock
2 sprigs thyme (sache)
1 sprig rosemary (sache)
2 ea. bay leaves (sache)
2 tbsp. whole black peppercorns (sache)
• Season ossos with salt and pepper.
• In a hot rondeaux, add oil and ossos, sear on both sides.
• Remove ossos and add mirepoix.
• Sauté until translucent, then add tomato paste and sauté for ONE minute.
• Deglaze with chianti; add ossos back to the rondeaux.
• Cover with the beef and chicken stock, and add sache bag.
• Bring to a boil; reduce to simmer for 2 ½ hours; check for doneness at 2 (should be soft to the touch).
• Remove ossos from the braise.
• De-fat the braising liquid with a ladle.
• Reduce braising liquid until the sauce is nape.
• For service, place osso bucco into earthenware dish with 1½ cups of the braising jus.
• Wrap dish in aluminum foil; bake for 10-12 minutes on 450 degrees.