A blaze caused up to $1 million in damage to the Mankato, Minn., property’s clubhouse yesterday, but the golf course is open today, despite having no electricity.
The nine-hole Minneopa Golf Course in Mankato, Minn., was open for business on June 10, just hours after a fire heavily damaged its clubhouse, the Mankato-based Free Press reported.
The property was without electricity and the owners, Kyle and Tracey Bohks, used their cell phones to answer calls from their regular patrons. Employee Bob Mason was on the grounds welcoming golfers and their dollar bills and checks, the Free Press reported.
“We just have a cash box. We have no power and we can’t take credit cards, but the course is absolutely fine,” Kyle said.
When South Bend Fire Chief Robert Stone’s crew responded about 1:30 a.m. Tuesday to a report of a fire, flames were pushing out of the eaves of the wood structure. A short time later, flames began shooting through the roof, the Free Press reported.
Damage to the building is estimated between $500,000 and $1 million, Stone said. The state fire marshal determined the fire originated in the bar area and was probably started by a faulty light receptacle, the Free Press reported.
The Bohks’ home is attached to the clubhouse. They—along with their 15-year-old daughter and two dogs—were unharmed, the Free Press reported.
The owners have operated the golf course since 1997, when they took over the family business. Kyle said they will try hard to keep the fairway open on a schedule as close to normal as possible, the Free Press reported.
“We plan to take things one step at a time,” Kyle said.
Tell Us What You Think!
You must be logged in to post a comment.