Yield: 12 entrée salads
- 6 cups cooked grain and lentil medley (equal parts: brown rice, quinoa, red rice, lentils, wild rice)
- 18 cups fresh kale, cut into 1 inch pieces (12 oz.)
- 4 cups cooked black beans (30 oz.)
- 4 cups Mediterranean Salsa (recipe follows)
- 3 Fresh California Avocados, peeled, pitted, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups Creamy Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing (recipe follows)
For Mediterranean Salsa (Yield: 4 cups):
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced (9 oz.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cucumber, peeled and diced (7 1⁄2 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, diced (2 1⁄4 oz.)
- 3⁄4 cup red onion, diced (3 1⁄2 oz.)
- 1⁄2 cup basil, chopped (3⁄4 oz.)
- 1 Tbsp. capers
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. chopped parsley
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
For Creamy Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing (Yield: 1 1⁄2 cups):
- 4 cups cilantro leaves and stems, roughly chopped (12 oz.)
- 2 large Fresh California Avocados, pureed (2 cups)
- 2 cups water (16 oz.)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (8 oz.)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- For Mediterranean Salsa:Mix all ingredients together and let sit for one hour.Cover and refrigerate.
- For Creamy Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing: Pulse all ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
- Per order: Place 1⁄2 cup of the grain mixture in the bottom of each bowl. Arrange 1 1⁄2 cups (packed) kale, 1/3 cup black beans, 1/3 cup Mediterranean Salsa, and avocado slices in each bowl so that all of the ingredients can be identified. Top each bowl with 2 Tbsp. Creamy Avocado Cilantro Lime Dressing.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.
Courtesy of California Avocado Commission