Yield: 1 serving
6 to 7 oz. cold-water lobster tail, removed from shell, cleaned and de-veined, split in half lengthwise
1 ea. wooden skewer
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups corn meal
1 tsp. garlic powder
5 tbsp. sugar
1½ tbsp. baking powder
1 ea. whole egg
2½ cups buttermilk
to taste salt
- Roll each piece of lobster in plastic wrap into a cylinder shape to resemble a hot dog, and freeze slightly to keep the shape.
- Place a soaked wooden skewer through tail end.
- Pre-heat fry oil to 350° F.
- Combine flour, corn meal, garlic powder, sugar, and baking powder.
- Whisk in egg and buttermilk.
- Dust skewered lobster tail with seasoned flour.
- Dip into batter and fry at 350°F until golden brown (2 to 3 mins.).
Submitted by Jason Zeller, Executive Chef, The Hamlet Country Club, Delray Beach, Fla.