For the foie gras “au torchon”:
• 1 Grade “A” foie gras from Rougie County (France), at room temp to clean.
• Remove veins and blood lines; lay on a tray.
• Do not wash or soak in milk; if necessary, sponge with clean paper towels.
• Cracked black pepper, sprinkle of sea salt “fleur de sel,” and a dash of Courvoisier cognac.
• Let stand for ten minutes, then reform foie gras.
• Roll up on itself in cheese cloth, tie up each end and press to form a “log” or “sausage”; at this point instead of poaching, we will cure the foie for 48 hours (time may need adjustment, depending on size).
To cure (cover foie with the following mix):
6 cups coarse kosher salt
2 cups fleur de sel
1 cup sugar
3 sprigs rosemary, coarsely chopped
1 small bunch fresh thyme, coarsely chopped
3 fresh bay leaves
5 black peppercorns, cracked
5 green peppercorns, crushed
n Mix all ingredients well, crushing the herbs with the salt.
• Find an appropriate-sized container so the liver roll is surrounded with the mix; cover and store under refrigeration for 48 hours.
• Brush off the excess salt, unwrap and discard cloth; roll tightly in plastic until ready for consumption.
For the Melba toast:
• There is nothing like a good butter brioche that is soft in the center and crisp on the outside.
• Make or buy the brioche; cut rounds the same size as the foie gras diameter.
• Sauté in clarified butter (thick enough that the center will be hot and warm).
For the potato nest:
• Peel and julienne a waxy potato very thin, with a dash of clarified butter and pulverized parmesan.
• Assemble into a ½-dome flex pan mold; cook at 325º until golden brown.
For the Almond Chive Oil
• In a blender, mix good-quality pistachio oil, sprigs of fresh chive and sea salt to crush with the oil until bright green; use sieve to remove coarser pieces.
To Finish the Dish:
• Poach one quail egg in sherry vinegar water.
• Rest on top of microgreen in the potato nest.
• Set room-temp foie gras slice onto the hot brioche.
• Top with the nest and finish with bacon fat and butter béarnaise (I use piece of bacon and chives in mine).
• Plate and drizzle pistachio chive oil around.
Tell Us What You Think!
You must be logged in to post a comment.