The North Carolina club will revamp and enhance its pool, restaurants, fitness center and youth activities facility. Sitework is scheduled to begin in October, with a planned completion by January 2022.
The Greensboro (N.C.) Country Club has passed a $19.1 million renovation of its pool, restaurants, fitness center and youth activities facility. The club, which was founded in 1909, is working with Chambers USA on the project.
Here are some of the highlights of what the project will involve:
Member feedback identified redeveloping the existing Irving Park pool experience as a top priority; the pool will be enhanced with two new pools and various social and recreational features, including:
– Enhancing the current pool experience with ample outdoor seating and member interaction areas, including umbrella-covered chaise lounges and trellis-covered table seating overlooking both pools;
– Incorporating a zero-entry feature at the family pool with six lap lanes for swim team, as well as water basketball and low-rise (1-meter) and mid-rise (3-meter) diving boards for older children;
– Providing interactive water features, a splashpad, and a slide for younger children;
– Developing a heated, three-lane, adult-only lap pool with submerged chaise lounges for relaxation and member interaction;
– Creating a new, pergola-covered patio overlooking the golf course with nearby changing rooms, family restrooms, table and lounge seating, a portable bar, and an outdoor fireplace;
– New landscaping plan to enhance the clubhouse exterior and pool surrounds;
– New pool check-in; and
– Enhancing the entry walkway from the parking lot with upgraded landscaping (with tall plantings, hedges, brick pavers and a water feature to frame the view).
The Sunset Dining areas on the main level of the clubhouse will receive these enhancements to create a refined and elegant dining experience:
– Enclosing the existing outdoor terrace to relocate and enhance the Sunset Dining Room with golf course views;
– Utilizing additional adjacent space to create a second, multi-functional Carlisle Room and provide increased capacity for flexible-use dining and private events;
– Enhancing the Sunset Bar to create an upscale cocktail bar experience with ample hidden storage, soft lounge seating, and a double-sided fireplace that connects to the Sunset Lounge;
– Creating a welcoming reception area off of the main foyer that leads into a sophisticated Sunset Lounge with soft seating and beautiful wine displays on either side;
– Creating an intimate Wine Room for hosting small private events;
– Upgrading the aesthetics and accessibility of the men’s and women’s restrooms off of the foyer; and
– Creating a new outdoor terrace with shaded pergola, landscaping, table seating and views of the new pool complex.
Modifications to the lower-level plans for the clubhouse, to further enhance the casual dining venue and outdoor dining experience while providing a new Family Grille experience adjacent to the kitchen, will include:
– Relocating and expanding the existing Donald Ross Terrace (with a partially covered space for year-round usage), featuring an outdoor bar, cozy lounge areas, a view of the adult pool view, and increased outdoor dining capacity;
– Modernizing and enlarging the lower level kitchen to provide greater operational efficiencies and improved service to the Family Grille, 1909 Adult Grille, Donald Ross Terrace, and Pool Pick- Up window;
– Expanding the footprint of the 1909 Adult Grille to create an engaging casual dining venue with table seating, lounge seating, an expanded indoor bar, and direct access to the new DRT;
– Using retractable folding walls to create aflexibleseatingareainthe1909 Adult Grille for private dining functions;
– Aesthetically enhancing the Lower Lobby to elevate the first impressions of the casual dining experiences;
– Maintaining the permanent buffet experience, centrally located between the lower level dining venues; and
– Enclosing the open-air patio off of the existing Family Grille to create an expanded family dining venue with increased seating capacity and direct access to the family pool deck and a covered dining patio.
As one of the most popular amenities available to all members, the Fitness Center is being included as a priority component of the club’s revised Facilities Master Plan, rather than a future phase. Enhancements planned for the facility include:
– Expanding and enhancing the existing Fitness Center by 25% with state-of-the-art fitness and wellness offerings;
– Creating dedicated areas for circuit training, cardio equipment, functional training, stretching, and group-exercise classrooms;
– Reconfiguring and enhancing the fitness lobby to provide an improved check-in experience and direct access to the adjacent Pro Shop;
– New Grab & Go area located in the lobby for quick, convenient access to fresh, healthy meal and snack options
– Multi-purpose space (with large windows to maximize the views) that can be easily converted for fitness or other functions; and
– New covered viewing terrace (with portable bar) overlooking the tennis courts below.
The design of the expanded Fitness Center will also capitalize on the grade change to create a two-story structure visible from the golf course, though only one story is visible from the pool, that will include these benefits and features:
– Additional multi-purpose space for fitness and group-exercise classes;
– Dedicated treatment room for massage services;
– New field turf / lawn for outdoor activities, with landscaping along the 18th fairway;
– Much-needed youth-activity space, with two dedicated rooms for different age groups;
– Enhancing the lounge in the women’s locker room; and
– Utilizing the space below the new pool pavilion and covered deck for back of house needs (maintenance, laundry, pool equipment).