Funded through the Environmental Institute for Golf and Syngenta, the program provides $1,500 scholarships to the children and grandchildren of Golf Course Superintendents Association of America members who have been active for five or more consecutive years.
The Golf Course Superintendents Association of America (GCSAA) has announced the 20 recipients of a 2016 Legacy Award scholarship. Funded through its philanthropic organization, the Environmental Institute for Golf (EIFG) and Syngenta, the GCSAA Legacy Awards provide scholarships to the children and grandchildren of GCSAA members who have been active for five or more consecutive years. Legacy Award recipients each receive $1,500.
“Syngenta is committed to the golf industry and excited about the future opportunities for these young leaders. The Legacy Awards signify achievement by these individuals. It’s our pleasure to support golf course superintendents, the backbone of the industry,” said Stephanie Schwenke, turf market manager for Syngenta.
- AnnMarie Backstrom, majoring in environmental studies and theatre at the College of Saint Benedict and child of Jeffrey Backstrom, superintendent at Cannon Golf Club in Cannon Falls, Minn.
- Emeline Brudwick, majoring in nursing and English at the College of Saint Benedict and child of David Brudwick, superintendent at Eastwood Golf Club in Rochester, Minn.
- Rachel Cox, majoring in environmental health science, Spanish and chemistry at Eastern Kentucky University and child of James Cox, certified golf course superintendent at The University Club at Arlington in Richmond, Ky.
- Asheley Crabtree, majoring in accounting at George Fox University and child of Jeffrey Crabtree, superintendent at Oak Knoll Golf Course in Independence, Ore.
- Alexandra Kincaid, majoring in magazine journalism at Ball State University and child of Richard Kincaid, superintendent at Blue Ash Golf Course in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Hayley McIntyre, majoring in wine and viticulture at California Polytechnic State University and child of Daniel McIntyre, retired certified golf course superintendent in Oakdale, Calif.
- Alyssa Merkel, majoring in physician assistant studies at Union College and child of Steven Merkel, certified golf course superintendent for Landscapes Unlimited in Lincoln, Neb.
- Wesley Shaw, majoring in economics, biology and chemistry at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and child of Billy Shaw, superintendent at Verdict Ridge Golf & Country Club in Denver, N.C.
- Tyler Tanko, majoring in paper science engineering and chemical engineering at the University of Wisconsin at Stevens Point and child of Gary Tanko, certified golf course superintendent at Sentryworld Golf Course in Stevens Point, Wis.
- Kaci Whitehead, majoring in graphic design/visual communications at Indiana University and child of James Whitehead, superintendent at Maxwelton Golf Course in Syracuse, Ind.
Incoming College Freshmen
- Brennan Buckley-Noonan, majoring in pre-physical therapy at Western Oregon University and child of Kurt Noonan, certified golf course superintendent at Juniper Golf Club in Redmond, Ore.
- Bailey Cavender, majoring in biochemistry at Mississippi State University and child of David Cavender, superintendent at Cobblestone Park Golf Club in Blythewood, S.C.
- Brittany Daigle, majoring in aerospace engineering at the University of Florida and child of Edward Daigle, superintendent at Osceola Municipal Golf Course in Pensacola, Fla.
- Madalyn Rae Ferlazzo, majoring in biology/health sciences at James Madison University and child of Robert Ferlazzo, certified golf course superintendent at Cameron Hills Golf Links in Fairfax Station, Va.
- Abagail Klonsinski, majoring in business at Baylor University and child of Kurt Klonsinski, certified golf course superintendent at Riverside Country Club in Bozeman, Mont.
- Sean Naudet, majoring in nursing at Missouri State University and child of Paul Naudet, superintendent at the Club at Porto Cima in Lake Ozark, Mo.
- Samuel Rothwell, majoring in athletic training/physical therapy at the University of South Carolina and child of Paul Rothwell, superintendent at Oyster Reef Golf Course in Hilton Head Island, S.C.
- Kyra Schell, majoring in chemical engineering at Villanova University and child of Duane Schell, superintendent at Blue Ridge Trail Golf Club in Mountain Top, Pa.
- Karlie Smelser, majoring in nursing at Stephen F. Austin State University and child of Jeffrey Smelser, certified golf course superintendent at Galveston Country Club in Galveston, Texas
- Allison Taylor, majoring in chemistry and medicine at the United States Naval Academy and child of Fred Taylor, certified golf course superintendent at Mankato Golf Club in Mankato, Minn.