The 20 recipients each receive $1,500 through the program, which is administered through the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America’s philanthropic arm, the Environmental Institute for Golf, and funded by Syngenta.
The 20 recipients of the 2015 Legacy Award scholarship from the Golf Course Superintendents Association of America have been announced. Administered through its philanthropic organization, the Environmental Institute for Golf (EIFG), and funded by Syngenta, the Legacy Awards provide scholarships to the children and grandchildren of GCSAA members who have been active for five or more consecutive years. Legacy Award recipients each receive $1,500.
“The Legacy Awards have always been a way for Syngenta to give back to golf course superintendents, the backbone of the golf industry,” said Stephanie Schwenke, turf marketing manager for Syngenta.
- Lauren Colloredo, majoring in elementary education at Mississippi State University and child of William Colloredo, certified golf course superintendent at Turtle Point Yacht & Country Club in Killen, Ala.
- Marcy Eichner, majoring in international relations and environmental studies at Suffolk University and child of Mark J. Eichner, superintendent at Shelter Harbor Golf Club in Charlestown, R.I.
- Alexa Ferrie, majoring in psychology at the University of Minnesota and child of Brian J. Ferrie, superintendent at Horseshoe Bay Golf Club in Egg Harbor, Wis.
- Ryan Franceschini, majoring in biology at St. John’s University and child of Frank Franceschini, superintendent at Middle Island Country Club in Middle Island, N.Y.
- Natalie Michelle Gentile, majoring in history and secondary education at the University of Colorado at Boulder and child of Patrick Gentile, certified golf course superintendent at Patty Jewett Golf Course in Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Dylan Charles Goike, majoring in musical theatre performance at Central Michigan University and child of Steven Goike, superintendent at Alpena (Mich.) Golf Club
- Abigail Goudey, majoring in business administration and Spanish at St. Michael’s College and child of Brian Goudey, superintendent at Van Patten Golf Club in Clifton Park, N.Y.
- Abigail Gullicks, majoring in business finance at the University of St. Thomas and child of William Gullicks, superintendent at Bellwood Oaks Golf Course in Hastings, Minn.
- Julie Hemphill, majoring in neuroscience and psychology, pre-medicine, at the University of Pittsburgh and child of Jeffrey Hemphill, certified golf course superintendent at Nissequogue Golf Club in Saint James, N.Y.
- Walker Edwin Aloysius Hoolehan, majoring in chemistry and applied biological sciences at South Dakota School of Mines and Technology and child of Sean Hoolehan, certified golf course superintendent at Wildhorse Resort and Casino in Pendleton, Ore.
- Hampton Alexander Kicklighter, majoring in engineering at the University of Georgia and child of Hampton Kicklighter, Jr., certified golf course superintendent at Dublin (Ga.) Country Club
- Amy Elizabeth Kruzick, majoring in computer engineering at Texas A&M University and child of George Kruzick, a retired certified golf course superintendent from Fort Worth, Texas.
- Brooks M. Leftwich, majoring in mechanical engineering at the University of Tennessee and child of Michael C. Leftwich, retired superintendent from Nashville, Tenn.
- Elizabeth Lopez, majoring in pre-medicine at Auburn University and grandchild of James Schwarzenberger, retired superintendent from Idaho Falls, Idaho.
- Kelsy Emma McIntyre, majoring in communications and media studies at Santa Monica College and child of Daniel E. McIntyre, retired certified golf course superintendent from Oakdale, Calif.
- McKenna Millies, majoring in animal science, pre-veterinary, at Iowa State University and child of Jeff Millies, certified golf course superintendent at Edgewood Golf Course in Big Bend, Wis.
- Sophie Ohrn, majoring in chemistry at Columbia University and grandchild of Paul O’Leary, retired certified golf course superintendent from Manchester, Vt.
- Madison Reed, majoring in mathematics or chemistry at Hofstra University and child of Eric Reed, certified golf course superintendent at Valley Country Club in Sugarloaf, Pa.
- Laura Sowatsky, majoring in clinical exercise science with Honors College distinction at Grand Valley State University and child of Steve Sowatsky, superintendent at Links at Lake Erie, Mich.
- Jacob Yurigan, majoring in finance at the University of Florida and grandchild of Adam Yurigan (deceased).