The structure housing the golf carts was gutted by an early morning blaze.
Fort Lauderdale, Fla., fire officials are investigating an early morning blaze that ripped through a building at the Coral Ridge Country Club Tuesday, October 11, 2011, causing at least $2.5 million worth of damage, reports NBC Miami.
Fire Rescue units responded to the club at around 2:50 a.m. after receiving 911 calls reporting fire and explosions, Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue spokesman Matt Little said.
When they arrived, firefighters found a 3,000 square foot building used to house golf carts engulfed in flames.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, but not before the fire gutted the building and destroyed the 90 GPS-equipped electric carts valued at $540,000. The fire also caused heavy smoke damage to a nearby golf shop. Total damages were estimated at between $2.5 and $3 million.
Club spokesman Chuck Malkus said the golf carts were charging batteries overnight and something may have sparked. Malkus added that nothing like this had happened in the 57 years the club has been in operation. He said the club will remain open for golf, tennis and swimming, reports NBC Miami.
Tell Us What You Think!
You must be logged in to post a comment.