784g pastry dough (see recipe below)
455g Cuban pork shoulder
spice mix (see recipe below)
braising liquid (see recipe below)
6 pieces thin sliced ham
6 slices Vienna dill pickle
60g Dijonnaise (see recipe below)
33g egg yolks
For the Dijonnaise:
45g Dijon mustard
For the Pastry Dough:
453g sifted all-purpose flour
5g kosher salt
100g cold water
• Break down the butter and lard into the flour and salt, using the tips of your fingers. Then incorporate and knead in 100g cold water to make a firm dough.
• Cut equally into six pieces and then chill for 20 minutes.
For the Spice Mix:
2g chili powder
1g white pepper
2g garlic powder
2g onion powder
For the Braising Liquid:
200g orange juice
150g lime juice
4 garlic cloves
1 bay leaf
For the Pork Shoulder:
• Rub the pork shoulder with spice mix.
• Grill marinated shoulder until it is slightly charred.
• Place charred shoulder into a roasting pan with a rack. Fill pan with braising liquid.
• Cover roasting pan with foil and braise in oven for two to three hours at 375ºF, until the meat is fork-tender.
• Let cool and shred the pork.
• Let pastry dough temper for 10 to 20 minutes to soften slightly. Roll out the dough portions with a rolling pin into circles. Dough should be approximately 15cm in diameter (find a plate or ring mold with a 15-cm diameter, to create a perfect circle).
• Place the sliced ham in the center of the dough. Spread a layer of Dijonnaise on top of the sliced ham. Place pickle on top of Dijonnaise. Spread another layer of Dijonnaise on top of pickle.
• Place 70g of the pulled Cuban pork on top of the Dijonnaise.
• With a brush, brush circumference of the pastry dough with egg yolk.
• Fold the dough over the filling to create a half moon. Pince the edges and decoratively fold and crimp the edges of the pastry, to seal.
• Place pastries on non-stick sheet pan and bake at 350ºF for approximately 20 minutes.