For the Tamale (yields 30 portions):
2 cups fresh corn, removed from cob and milked; save corn husk and dry in oven to use as wrapper
1 cup corn meal
2 cups milk
2 ea. jalapeño, roasted and minced
6 ozs. cream cheese
1 lb. lump crab meat
salt and pepper
• Puree corn, corn meal, milk from cob and milk in a food processor.
• Fold in cream cheese, jalapeño and crab; season with salt and pepper to taste.
• Portion 2 ozs. into dried corn husk wrapper.
• Line in a single layer and steam, 20 to 25 minutes.
• Rest and cut corn-husk wrapper to expose tamale.
For the Warm Corn & Crab Salad (yields 3 cups):
1 cup corn, roasted, fresh from cob
½ cup huitlacoche
1 cup crab, lump
½ cup tomatillo, charred & small-diced
1 tbsp. cilantro
1 tsp. adobo, from canned chipotle
to taste lemon juice, fresh
to taste olive oil
to taste salt and pepper
• Combine all ingredients, gently warm in sauté pan, dress with olive oil and lemon, season with salt and pepper.
• Spoon over tamale.
For the Finishing Garnishes (yields 10 portions):
30 curls Manchego cheese
30 shavings truffle
2 ozs. pea tendrils
truffle oil and fresh lemon juice
• Shave Manchego cheese with a vegetable peeler.
• Shave truffle a la minute.
• Wash and pick pea tendrils, lightly dress with truffle oil and fresh lemon juice.
• Open the corn husk to present the tamale and place on plate.
• Spoon corn and crab salad over the tamale.
• Garnish with cheese, truffle and pea tendrils.