The Fort Myers, Fla. club’s original clubhouse opened in 2004 and underwent a refresh in 2014 aimed at enhancing and updating the overall look. The latest enhancement includes the addition of 1,800 sq. ft. of internal dining space and 1,500 sq. ft. of external dining space. The kitchen doubled in size and layout to expand storage and productivity, and additional breakout rooms/event space and a new media room were also included. “The new building is welcoming, multi-functional and beautiful,” says General Manager Jim Karafa.
Colonial Country Club in Fort Myers, Fla. recently unveiled its newly renovated clubhouse with a ribbon cutting ceremony and restaurant grand opening. The $6.5 million dollar project began in April 2020 and focused on expanding the functionality of the clubhouse, creating more flexible open space and elevating the member dining experience.
C+RB reported on the groundbreaking in May 2020.
Naples, Florida-based MHK Architecture and Planning was the architect for the project, Clive Daniel was the interior design firm, while Wright Construction Group of Fort Myers was the contractor. In addition, RealFood Hospitality, Strategy and Design, a division of Troon, was instrumental in the design of the new kitchen and restaurant layout.
Highlights of the newly renovated clubhouse include:
– A refresh of the external and internal appearance of the 16-year-old facility;
– Addition of 1,800 sq. ft. of internal dining space, creating additional capacity;
– 1,500 sq. ft. of external dining space was added and provides views of the golf course;
– Complete roof replacement;
– The new design gives the feeling of bringing the outside in;
– The new Sunset Grille bar opens to the Ballroom;
– New indoor/outdoor bar and dining areas were created with the addition of Nana Walls to provide flexibility to dine al fresco or indoors;
– Additional breakout rooms/event space and a new media room were also added;
– The kitchen doubled in size and layout to expand storage and productivity;
– A new employee breakroom was also added, and administrative offices were refreshed;
– Interior décor was updated to create a fresh new look and create a better member experience; and
– The member relations area was expanded at the front entrance of the clubhouse to provide a warm welcome to members.
“After five years of planning and nearly a year of construction, we are thrilled to finally unveil our new clubhouse at Colonial,” said Jim Karafa, General Manager/COO. “The new building is welcoming, multi-functional and beautiful. Hats off to our members for their incredible input, and to MHK Architects and Clive Daniel for making their dreams a reality. And, special thanks to Bill Mihm of Raymond James Financial for his assistance with the project.”
Colonial’s clubhouse originally opened in 2004. In 2014, the clubhouse underwent a refresh aimed at enhancing and updating the overall look. In 2015, an exterior, open-air patio area was added to the clubhouse to enhance member events, weddings and casual dining.
Colonial Country Club is a full-service club and gated bundled community in Southwest Florida. The club’s 18-hole golf course was designed by Gordon Lewis, while the tennis program features eight Har-Tru tennis courts, eight pickleball courts, two bocce courts and a full-service tennis shop.
Colonial Country Club also has two resort-quality swimming pool and Jacuzzis, large deck areas for sunning and lounging, a poolside snack bar, and an indoor fitness and community center with state-of-the-art equipment, aerobics room, private massage rooms, a meeting room, book exchange library and a business center.