1 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar, granulated
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt, kosher
2 tbsp. bacon fat
1 ea. egg, beaten
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 lbs. chicken bratwurst, 2.5-inch (recipe follows)
20 ea. wooden skewers
- Preheat deep fryer to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, stir flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir in melted bacon fat.
- Whisk together egg, buttermilk, and baking soda. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour the egg mixture into the well. Mix until everything is smooth and well-blended.
- Dry the pre-cooked chicken bratwurst, so batter sticks, and place on wooden skewers or lollipop sticks.
- Dip the bratwurst into the batter, spinning them as you lift them out of the batter. Deep-fry a few at a time until they become golden brown, and the internal temperature is 165°F.
- Drain corn dogs on a roasting rack. Serve.
Yield: 20 servings
5 lbs. chicken thigh meat, boneless
1 cup whole milk, iced
1 ea. egg, whole
1 cup non-fat powdered dry milk
1 1/2 tsp. white pepper, ground
1 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
2 tbsp. salt, kosher
1 tsp. TCM, curing salt (if smoking)
- Grind thigh meat through a 3/8-inch die. Then regrind half of the ground mixture and add together.
- In a blender, combine the remaining ingredients.
- Combine the two ingredients together, and “knead” until mixture becomes tacky and sticks together.
- Pipe bratwurst into casing, plastic wrap, or make into patties.
- Poach at 180°F, until internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Cool, and grill, sauté, or roast.
Yield: 5 lbs.
Recipe by Sean Sennet, Executive Chef, River Hills Country Club, Lake wylie, S.C.
Tell Us What You Think!
You must be logged in to post a comment.