6 pounds American Lamb blade chops
6 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbsp. Fresh lemon juice
to taste kosher salt
to taste crushed red pepper flakes
18 stalks fresh rosemary
For Caesar Dressing:
3 garlic, minced
9 white anchovy filets
pinch salt and pepper
6 Tbsp. pasteurized egg yolks
6 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
6 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. mint
3/4 cup Greek yogurt
1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
12 Pita breads
to taste kosher salt and pepper
6 ounces clarified butter
3 heart of romaine
3/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated
For Salad Mix:
6 Tbsp. tomatoes, diced
6 Tbsp. kalamata olives, diced
6 Tbsp. Feta cheese, crumbled
6 Tbsp. EVOO
36 white anchovies
- For the Lamb: Trim lamb of any extra fat and remove bones. Pound lamb chops between 2 pieces of paper until thin; cut into 12 cutlets. Season with oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper flakes. Place one-half of the rosemary on a baking dish; place lamb cutlets on the rosemary. Place remaining rosemary on top; marinate for 20 minutes. Grill lamb cutlets over high heat for 2 minutes on each side; reserve.
- For Caesar Dressing: In a small food processor, add garlic, anchovy filets and a pinch of salt and pepper. Puree until smooth. Add the pasteurized yolks, lemon juice, water, mint and yogurt; process for 30 seconds. While the processor is running, slowly add the oil to form an emulsion. Remove the mixture from the processor and place in a small bowl. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if needed. Reserve for service.
- For the Pitas: Season each side with kosher salt and pepper and drizzle with melted clarified butter. Place bread onto a wire rack then onto a baking sheet. Toast at 350ºF until golden brown. Reserve for service.
- For Romaine: Place dressing in a squirt bottle. Holding the heart of romaine lettuce upright, dress the inside and outside of the lettuce. Wrap the dressed romaine heart in plastic wrap tightly to form a cylinder. Refrigerate 1/2 hour to hold its shape.
- For Parmigiano Cookies: Place silicone mat onto a baking sheet. Using a 4-inch round mold to keep a circular shape, sprinkle cheese onto mat, repeating 12 times. Bake at 350°F for 5 to 7 minutes or until cheese has slightly browned. Allow to cool; remove from mat.
- For Salad Mix: Mix tomatoes, olives, feta cheese and olive oil well.
- To Assemble: Place a pita in the center of each plate. Top with grilled lamb cutlet. Cut each head of romaine into 4 equal slices about 1-1/2 to 2 inches thick. Place a romaine round on top of each lamb slice. Top each romaine with the salad mix. Top with Parmigiano cookie. Roll each anchovy and place 3 on each plate. Drizzle with remaining Caesar dressing and extra virgin olive oil.
Recipe by Edward Leonard, CMC, Director of Culinary Operations at The Polo Club of Boca Raton (Fla.) and image provided by the American Lamb Board