4 7-oz. halibut filets
For the Purple Forbidden Rice:
1 garlic clove (minced)
1/2 shallot (minced)
½ tbsp. ginger (minced)
½ jalapeno (minced)
1 stalk celery (minced)
3 ozs. mirin
1 oz. soy sauce
½ tbsp. sesame oil
½ cup orange juice
1 cup purple rice
½ tbsp.. sambal
1 lime (zest and juice)
• In a medium sauce pan, sweat together with sesame oil: garlic, shallot, ginger, jalapeno and celery.
• Deglaze with mirin, soy sauce, orange juice and lime zest and juice.
• Bring to a boil and add in rice.
• Lower heat and cook rice slowly.
• When rice is fully cooked, add in sambal and keep hot.
For the Sweet and Sour Kumquat Jam:
12 kumquats (sliced)
1 orange (peeled, seeded, and Juiced)
3 cups sugar
1 cup rice vinegar
1 tbsp. ginger (minced)
2 star anise
3 cups water
• Small-dice kumquats and oranges.
• Add everything to a pot and boil, occasionally stirring.
• Once jam begins to thicken, remove from stove.
• Remove and discard star anise.
• Cool overnight.
For the Tempura Endive:
1 Belgian endive (separate leaves)
2 ozs. cornstarch
8 ozs. cake flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. Kosher salt
8 ozs. club soda
• Sift all of the dry ingredients together, twice.
• Mix in the soda water; mixture should have same consistency as heavy cream.
• Dip endive in tempura batter and fry at 350 F.º
• Season with salt and pepper.