1 18- to 20-lb. whole suckling pig
1 7- to 9-lb. whole boneless pork loins
2 lbs. Mexican chorizo (found at local
grocery store or Spanish market)
3 sprigs thyme
3 sprigs rosemary
10 cloves smashed garlic
1 1/2 cups soy sauce
2 cups blended oil (75% olive, 25% canola)
1 pack frozen banana leaves
to taste kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
pico de gallo (recipe follows)
• Cut pork loins in half and marinate in a simple brine (4 tbsp. salt to 1 qt. water) for 24 hours under refrigeration.
• Lay out banana leaves on a sheet tray, overlapping each leaf and making sure to use enough banana leaves to wrap the entire pig after dressing.
• Lay pig belly up and fill the cavity with a thin layer of chorizo, making sure to spread it evenly throughout. Season pork loins with salt and pepper, and lay side by side inside the cavity of the pig.
• Make small incisions ½-inch from the cut of the cavity, about 1 inch apart on either side. Using butcher’s twine, sew up the cavity as you would lace up a sneaker.
• Mix soy sauce and olive oil. Turn the pig upright on top of the banana leaves and rub it generously with the mixture, salt and pepper. Wrap banana leaves tightly around the pig.
• Line your grill with aluminum foil and place the pig on top. Cook at low (250º to 275º F.) with the lid down for approximately 2 ½ to 3 hours, or until internal temperature is 150º F.
• Open the top of the banana leaves and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes with the grill lid down, to brown and crisp the pork skin. The internal temperature should reach 155º F.
• Let pig rest for 10 minutes before serving. Remove the twine and slice the loin inside the pig. Each serving should have some chorizo, pork loin and roasted pig. Serve with pico de gallo.
For the Pico de Gallo:
3/4 lb. tomatoes (about 2 medium), seeded and finely diced—should yield 1 1/2 cups
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 small fresh jalapeno or serrano chili (or more to taste), finely chopped, including seeds
1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice or more to taste
1 tsp. kosher salt
• Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Adjust heat with more chilies if desired.