4 pieces 6-oz., center-cut swordfish loin
1 medium-size eggplant, peeled and cut into ½-in. dice
1 green squash, cut into ½-in. dice
1 yellow squash, cut into ½-in. dice
1 red bell pepper, cut into ½-in. dice
½ large red onion, cut into ½-in. dice
2 ozs. toasted pine nuts
4 or 5 large basil leaves, chiffonade
2 ozs. capers
to taste minced garlic
to taste minced shallots
1 bunch red watercress
to deglaze balsamic vinegar
to taste lemon
to taste salt and white pepper
to taste balsamic syrup (also sold as balsamic cream)
• Heat a large sauté pan to medium-high heat. Coat pan with olive oil and sauté garlic and shallots with vegetables until al dente. Add salt and white pepper.
• Deglaze pan with balsamic vinegar and cool vegetables at room temperature on a sheet tray. When cooled, fold in pine nuts, capers and basil chiffonade.
• On char grill, brush swordfish medallions with olive oil and season with salt and white pepper. Grill 4 to 5 minutes per side, until firm.
• Dress watercress with lemon, olive oil, salt and white pepper.
• Plate one large spoonful of the caponata in the center of the plate, then place swordfish on top of dressed watercress. Drizzle with balsamic syrup.