4 6-oz. venison loin
For the Coffee Crust:
3 tbsp. coffee grounds
1 tbsp. light brown sugar
1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
½ tsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. cardamom
to taste salt and pepper
• Mix together until fully incorporated.
• Rub venison 30 to 60 minutes before cooking.
• In a medium-heat cast-iron skillet, sear each side evenly (be careful not to burn, as coffee may turn bitter).
• Baste with whole butter and set aside to rest.
For the Crispy Polenta:
3 cups chicken stock
1 ½ cups instant polenta
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
¼ cup chives (thinly sliced)
for dusting A-P Flour
• In a heavy-bottom sauce pan, bring stock to a boil.
• While whisking, slowly pour in polenta, to eliminate lumps.
• Turn heat to medium heat and cook until thick.
• Add in Parmesan, chives, salt and pepper.
• Pour onto a greased pan and cool overnight in refrigerator, to thicken.
• Remove from pan and cut into 1” x 2” rectangle.
• Dust with flour and deep-fry at 350º until crispy (approximately 3 to 4 minutes).
• Season and serve immediately.
For the Chicory:
• Thoroughly clean, rinse, and dry.
• Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
• Place on top of venison for “color and crunch.”
For the Chocolate Venison Jus:
1 pint venison demi-glace
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate
¼ lb. butter
• Warm venison demi-glace.
• Whisk in chocolate until fully melted.
• Add in butter and season with salt.
• Serve immediately.