1 cup Patties Great Northern Beans, dry
1 lb. Great Northern Beans, cooked
1 head Cauliflower
2 cups Clarified butter, ghee
1/2 cup Onion, minced
1 Tbsp. Garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. Coriander, ground
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Ground black pepper
1/2 cup Cilantro, minced leaves and stems
1 ea. Lemon, zest and juice
1 tps. Baking powder
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Distilled vinegar
1 Tbsp. Ginger, minced
1 Tbsp. Mustard, dry
1/4 tsp. Cloves, ground
1/4 tsp. Cinnamon Red pepper flakes
1 tsp. Black mustard seeds
2 cups Black beans, cooked
1 ea. Mango, small dice
1 cup Greek-style yogurt
1 cup Cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated
1/2 cup Mint, finely minced
1 ea. Garlic clove, minced
1 ea. Lemon juice
1/2 tsp. Cumin, ground
as needed Cilantro
- For the patties: Remove any stones or debris from the dry beans. Grind the dry beans in a blender until a flour is formed. Set aside.
- Cut cauliflower into small florets and set aside.
- Heat skillet with 1⁄2 cup of the butter and sauté the onions until softened. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the coriander and cauliflower.
- Season with salt and black pepper. Cover and cook until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Blend this mixture in a food processor until puréed.
- In a bowl, combine the cauliflower mixture with the cooked white beans, cilantro, bean flour, lemon juice, lemon zest, and baking powder. Set aside for 1 to 2 hours, refrigerated.
- Form 2 ounce patties and set aside.
- For the chutney: In a saucepan, combine all the chutney ingredients together except the beans and the mango and bring to a boil.
- Add the beans and mango and simmer until thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- For the yogurt sauce: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and adjust seasoning.
- To serve: Heat ghee in a skillet and pan fry the bean cakes on both sides until golden brown.
- Serve with pickled bean chutney and yogurt sauce. Garnish with cilantro.
Recipe courtesy of Culinary Institute of America.