1/4 cup California walnuts
7 ounces extra firm tofu
1/4 cup shiitake mushrooms, diced
2 pieces of caraway (If unable to find, use 1 tablespoon of cilantro), chopped 1/4 cup shallots, diced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons oyster sauce
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 cup shallots, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Arrange walnuts on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven, checking frequently. After toasting,
hammer walnuts into coarse grains in a bag.
- Meanwhile, divide tofu into 9 cubes and create a hole in the center of each cube without breaking it up.
- Mix two‐thirds of the California walnuts and shiitake mushrooms. Add caraway, diced shallot and oil and mix.
- Apply a thin layer of oyster sauce on the internal wall of the tofu cubes. Fill each cube with the walnut mixture and gently press it
- Heat the pan and add some oil. Add the stuffed tofu cubes and grill them over medium heat un l golden on both sides.
- Prepare the sauce by combining oyster sauce, white pepper, cornstarch, salt, sugar, soy sauce and 1/3 cup of water. Add it to the pan so that it covers both sides of the grilled tofu. When the sauce becomes thicker, turn off the heat and serve. 8. Sca er remaining California walnuts and sliced shallot over the grilled tofu.
Recipe courtesy of California Walnuts