Warm Soft Ricotta Cake with Almond Crème Anglaise, Sour Cherry Sorbetto and Cherry Pop Rocks
Created by Pedro Sanchez, Executive Chef, and submitted by Lisa Carruth, Director of Catering/Member Relations Director, BraeBurn Country Club, Houston, Texas
Yield: 8 servings
For the Warm Soft Ricotta Cake:
12 ozs. white chocolate
½ lb. unsalted butter
2 tsp. vanilla extract
6 egg yolks
1 ½ ozs. all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. salt
4 ozs. ricotta cheese
6 egg whites
4 ozs. sugar
¼ tsp. cream of tartar
• Melt the white chocolate and butter on a bain marie, then add the vanilla, egg yolks, flour, salt and ricotta cheese. Mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
• In another bowl, whip the egg whites until soft peaks are formed, add the sugar and cream of tartar, and keep whipping until hard peaks are formed.
• Fold the egg-white meringue with the white chocolate mixture.
• Place in buttered baking mold in the oven for 25 minutes at 350º F.
• Serve warm.
For the Almond Crème Anglaise:
½ cup whole milk
½ cup whipping cream
1 2-inch-piece vanilla bean, split
1 tbsp. almond paste
3 large egg yolks
3 tbsp. sugar
• Combine milk and cream in heavy medium saucepan.
• Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean and almond paste.
• Bring milk mixture to simmer. Remove from heat.
• Whisk egg yolks and sugar in medium bowl to blend.
• Gradually whisk hot-milk mixture into yolk mixture.
• Return custard to saucepan. Stir over low heat until custard thickens (do not boil). Strain sauce into bowl. Cover and chill.
For the Sour Cherry Sorbetto:
5 cups frozen, pitted sour cherries
1 ½ tbsp. lemon juice
¾ cup water
3 tbsp. granulated sugar
(for garnish) cherry pop rocks
• Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend them until the cherry mixture is smooth. Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker, according to manufacturer’s instructions.
• Serve the cherry sorbetto immediately or freeze it for an additional hour for a hard set.
• Save cherry pop rocks for plating garnish.
• Place ricotta cake in stemless martini glass. Top with almond crème anglaise followed by a scoop of sour cherry sorbetto.
• Just prior to service, sprinkle with cherry pop rocks.