¼ cup beets (in the 3- to 4-in. size range)
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. acacia honey
1 tsp. white balsamic vinegar
1 ¼ oz. candied walnuts (see recipe below)
1 ¼ oz. chevre (use an acidic chevre like a Crottin, to accent the sweetness of the beets)
to taste sea salt
(for garnish) local greens
• Blanch the beets whole in salted water at 190º F, until tender. Remove skin while still warm; cut to desired size.
• Dress the beets with olive oil, vinegar and honey while still warm. Cool them on a tray in the refrigerator until service.
• Right before service, place beets on the greens and sprinkle with candied nuts, chevre and sea salt.
For the Candied Walnuts:
1 ¼ oz. walnuts
raw sugar for sprinkling
• Boil the nuts in simple syrup for 12 minutes. Drain and place on a silicon mat and sprinkle lightly with raw sugar.
• Cook on tray at 335º F until they rattle on the tray—6 to 8 minutes.