Yield: 1 10″ cake
For the Sponge Cake:
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1/4 cup oil
For the Orange Glaze:
2 cups orange juice
1 cup sugar
½ tsp. pectin or gelatin powder
For the Cake Decoration:
1 Star Fruit
½ dozen Strawberries
½ dozen Large Blackberries
½ dozen Grapes Basil or Mint Leaves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- In a mixing bowl use a hand mixer to combine eggs and sugar until pale yellow.
- Using a rubber spatula, slowly and gently fold the flour and oil into the egg mixture.
- Grease a 10in pan with pan spray and pour the batter into the pan
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. To ensure the cake is fully baked, softly place the tip of a butter knife into the middle of the cake. If the knife comes out clean, it is ready.
- Allow the cake to cool down to room temperature
- While the cake is cooking begin prepare your glaze
- Using a small sauce pot, combine the orange juice and sugar and on medium heat bring it to boil. Reduce the heat and stir the mixture, it should have a thick consistency.
- Stir in pectin (or gelatin powder)
- Allow glaze to cool to room temperature
- Using a cake spatula spread the cooled glaze over the cooled cake
- Decorate the top of the cake with the fruits and basil or mint leaves
Recipe by Veejooruth Purlmessue, Pastry Chef, Currahee Club